IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association)
IDPA competition is based on practical equipment, practical tactics, and real-world self-defense scenarios. Competition-only equipment is not allowed; guns and holsters must be suitable for concealed carry and daily use. The rules minimize differences in equipment, so that IDPA competition tests the shooter rather than the hardware.
Shooters can compete in one of five divisions:
- Stock Service Pistol (SSP): Basically stock, double-action or striker-fired, 9mm or larger semi-automatic pistols.
- Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP): 9mm or larger semi-automatic pistols, any action type, with limited modifications allowed.
- Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP): .45 caliber semi-automatic pistols, any action type, with limited modifications. Most CDP pistols are 1911s.
- Stock Service Revolver (SSR): Double-action revolvers, .38 Special or larger, six shot, reloaded with speedloaders.
- Enhanced Service Revolver (ESR): Double-action revolvers, with power in the .45 ACP range, six shot, reloaded with speedloaders or full-moon clips.
Pistol’s size and weight are limited
Generally, pistols cannot be much larger than a stock 1911, and revolvers are limited to 4″ barrel length. Holsters must be suitable for everyday carry and concealment, and most stages require concealed carry using a concealment garment like a vest, shirt, or jacket. Stages tend to be short and sweet, never over 18 rounds in one string, and usually involve a practical self-defense scenario. There will be one or two drills or standard exercises per match for variety.
New shooters are welcome. You do not have to be an IDPA member.What You Need:
- Eye and ear protection.
- A pistol or revolver, caliber 9mm/.38 special or larger, suitable for concealed carry.
- At least two spare magazines, or three speedloaders or spare full-moon clips.
- Belt, holster, and magazine/speedloader/clip carriers, also suitable for concealed carry.
- A concealment garment–vest, jacket, or shirt.
- Water and sunscreen.
Pima Pistol is an IDPA member club.